22 runners ran 4.5km to help the Samye Mindfulness and Well being Centre in Cardiff.
- Tuesday, 12th of October 2021
- Led by Michael
Our biggest group since the lockdown ended, and what a wonderful group they were!
Welcome to goodgym Cardiff
Welcome Back for your second group
Tonight, we welcomed the return of Marie, who surprised us all at the virtual marathon at the end to cheer us to the finish. It is good to have you back in Cardiff. Two teams splitting up, the regular runners led by Michael taking a slightly longer route to make up the km and the super chatty walk / joggers led by Ellen who would make their way straight to the task.
19:00 and we had arrived at the task, once again Lorraine (the task organiser) had put up whiteboards with our tasks for the evening. If only all task started with a list of tasks like this
So many tasks tonight, it was a very satisfying evening.
- Remove the remaining Crocosmia from the raised beds at the front of the yard.
- Cut off the bulbs from any Crocosmia removed and add to the 'bucket of bulbs'.
- Remove the old plants from the hanging baskets and then make up new ones.
- Move a slab table into a new position.
- Sweep up any leaves from the yards.
- Touch up the paint in the tearoom.
- Touch up the paint in the kitchen.
- Plant daffodils and tulip bulbs in the newly emptied raised beds.
A lot of tasks, but we are GOODGYM let’s DO THIS. We split into our groups and got to work, it was a remarkable sight as plants vanished and new ones popped up, bulbs removed and new ones planted, the tearoom started to glow with the bright refreshed paint and a heavy table moved to create a more accessible path to the garden space.
Plenty of chatting tonight as new people were welcomed into the group, and before we knew it the time had gone, and snacks had appeared from Lorraine. Time for a quick social, only a small journey home tonight so we could afford the extra time to get to know each other.
Food down, smiles on, let’s get our group photo before heading back. A quick journey to our end location and a stretch for those that were not continuing their runs home.
Join us next week as we go back to school.
Report written by Michael
Discuss this report
Led by Michael
Goodgym Area Activator for Cardiff & the Vale, I believe in the transformative power of running & the Arts
Runners helping out
Lead a walking group to the task
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Become a member
with an optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt