It'll Be Alwipe On The Night
38 runners ran 4.0km to help the Barts Volunteers in Tower Hamlets.
- Monday, 17th of February 2020
- Led by Laura Williams
A well planned task
A large group gathered this evening for this spectacular task. Yes, our first visit of 2020 to the magnificent Royal London Hospital, to join forces with the mighty Barts Volunteers saw us tackling a variety of tasks, beautifully and brilliantly organised by Nancy, Marufa and Richard.
It all started in style at the Town Hall Hotel as we celebrated Liz's 400th (well, 402nd, to be precise) deed, with her home made peanut butter and white chocolate blondies. I mean, that's quite a start to a night, isn't it?
And I guess it all went uphill from there. We enjoyed a chatty, fun run to the hospital, where we met the Barts Volunteers team who quickly dispatched us to no fewer than six tasks around the hospital.
Teams gathered in various different areas to:
- Litter-pick in Ashfield St
- Prune the flower beds at the front of A&E
- Chat to patients on the wards
- Distribute newspapers to patients
- Clean & sterilise children's toys
- Clean reception desks
It was the most varied, fun and brilliantly planned evening for us all.
And the runners completed the lot: "They've finished, they've blitzed Ashfield St of all that debris," an amazed Nancy said to me at 7.55pm.
"Yep, it was fun," said first time runner Jay, en route back to our meeting point, "Like a treasure hunt, but with rubbish."
And so we gathered for our cheerio pics, and a little word from Nancy before heading back to base in two groups playing the greyhound-and-hare game. Another amazing night.
BIG GG shout-outs tonight
- First up, amazing to have first time runners Jay, Laura, and Ellen with us. You were amazing! It was a busy first task for you all, and you did brilliantly. Please come back again very soon.
- Thank you to Bryon, for leading the greyhounds back to base; for heading up the speedy running group.
- Thank you to Jo and Stefan for backmarking en route to task.
- Thank you to our photographers tonight, Suraj, Sally, Si and Polly.
- Thank you to Jessica for tonight's fabulous pun.
- And thanks to Liz, for walk-leading tonight, and for beautiful brownies, and a huge congratulations on your 402nd deed.
What's coming up...
Right, are you ready? We have some good stuff coming up. Future FOMO kicking in? Quite right too. Here goes:
First up, this coming Sunday, our very own Chi is leading an impromptu training session in Victoria Park for those who have, ahem, left their Big Half training a little late. Yep, it's The Big Half Sharpener, a training session guaranteed to boost confidence for the big day if nothing else. And this session is for all - you don't need to be running The Big Half to attend. All I'll say is, 'you snooze, you lose' with this one folks. Details are here.
Now, moving onto next week, the 24th, we return to Limehouse Town Hall to start our work prepping the entrance hall. So, another one to get in your diary. Details and sign up are here.
And then on February 27th, our mighty Task Force regular Leo is running the coolest Thursday Community Mission. Listen, this is one to take an annual leave day for. Join Leo and Katrina as they cheer on the school runners in the Mini Mermaids, Weavers Fields run. AMAZING, life enhancing stuff for you to get involved with. Details and sign up are here.
Right, that's it for another week. Have a wonderful week: stay warm, stay active, stay happy, stay connected and we hope to see you very soon.
Report written by Laura Williams
Discuss this report
Lucky enough to be the Area Activator for Tower Hamlets. Personal trainer. Seriously sweet tooth.
Runners helping out
Lead a walking group to the task
Take photos for the run report
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Become a member
with an optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance