Summer Social Rounders: Victoria Park (Away game) - North vs. South of the River
An inclusive game(s) of social rounders in the sunshine (hopefully) - bring a picnic, BYOB and mates (if you want)
Date and time16:00 - 20:00
It's the return game, the Southern Softies won their home game, but will the Naughty Northerners clinch this final battle to be crowned champions?!
Come for the final rounders social of 2023!
Who doesn't enjoy an afternoon in the park playing rounders with friends. Of course, there's always some sort of competition when it comes to any sport....even rounders. Come along to meet other GG members from across London for a picnic and a social rounders game between GG members from north of the river against GG members south of the river (we're not strict about this and if one team need more players, we can "loan" them for the afternoon PLUS don't forget we may have non-GG friends).
This is the "Away" game. As I mentioned, there was a first "Home" game on Saturday 17th of June in Clapham Common where the Softies won!
- What: Social Rounders (with picnic, BYOB and invite your non-GG mates)
- Where: Victoria Park (from what3words: ///eaten.flat.prefer - near People's Park Tavern)
- When: Saturday 12th of August from 16:00 onwards
- Why: Enjoy an afternoon in the park, play social rounders, eat, drink, meet GoodGymers from other areas and possibly get a sun tan (not promising anything). Importantly, have fun!
Don't know how to play?
Firstly, we welcome all! Just because there's a "North vs. South of the river" narrative, it's all for fun...no one is winning any medals or prizes. If you haven't played before, not to worry, the majority of us have forgotten the rules, so the written rules are here and there is also a video. I'll explain the rules again on the day. In summary: it's a no-fuss version of Baseball.
Basic rules: We will be playing
- 10 players per team (minimum 7 and max 12).
- What team will you be in? It's a "first come, first selected". There will be two teams. Three, if we have the numbers for a third team (GoodGym United, a mix of North and South).
- We will play two innings (field and bat twice as a team) if there's two teams. Otherwise, a round robin of one innings if there's three teams.
- The team fielding - need a pitcher (person throwing the ball), backstop (person behind the batter just in case they miss), players on each stump (x4) and the rest are fielders.
- The team batting - bats according to the roster. If you hit the ball you run. If the ball is between shoulder and knee height and the umpire doesn't call a "no ball", you run!
- Play according to the umpire's decision and be respectful of their decision.
- During your turn (hit or no hit), if you make it to the second or third stump, this gives your team a half a rounder (1/2) and if you make it all the way - full rounder (1).
- The batting team's aim is to rack up as many rounders (points) before 5 players are caught or run out.
- Once 5 batting players are caught or run out, the teams switch duties.
- The fielding team now bats to beat the score the batting team put on the board.
- The new fielding team need to get 5 players out before the new batting team beats their score.
Can I still come if I can't make the start?
Have other commitments earlier or like to be fashionably late? That's fine. It's all social, so come and go as you please! We might start off with a practice hit around before our "socially competitive" game. If the rounders is all over by the time you arrive, just come and chill with a picnic. I'm sure a few of us will stay until the sun starts to set.
Hope to see you there!
If you have any questions, please put it down in the "Discussion" below and I'll get to you ASAP. Otherwise, you can email me at email@example.com.
Date and time16:00 - 20:00
Led by Sam Lefevre
Southwark Area Activator since Sept 2021 Ultra runner (when I'm crazy), otherwise I stick to anything under a marathon... 🏃🏻
What to look out for
GoodGym welcomes anyone aged 18 or over. If you are under 18 then you will be unable to participate in any GoodGym activity
Make sure you've read our general guidelines for safety when running and at a task.
This event is not organised by GoodGym and GoodGym takes no responsibility for your participation in the event.