Request practical support for an older person
Know someone over 60 who wants a hand with a practical task they can no longer do on their own? GoodGym may be able to help.Get Started
Background-checked GoodGym volunteers help out older people with one-off tasks. They run out to the older person's house and help with household and garden tasks.
We can change lightbulb or smoke alarm batteries
We can do weeding and most gardening tasks
We can move furniture and other heavy household items
How it works
GoodGym is a registered charity with lots of friendly runners who like to keep fit and help people. We stop off on our runs to help people with practical tasks.
Our tasks are carried out by volunteers so you don't have to pay.
GoodGym volunteers are background checked and trained.
You can choose the time and date.
Tasks we help with:
- help older people (60+) in the local community
- focused on fixing a specific problem, such as clearing an overgrown garden, lifting heavy objects or changing smoke alarm batteries
- last no more than 3 hours (and are often a lot shorter)
- attended by a minimum of two runners
Tasks we cannot help with:
- require a qualified professional, such as electrical works
involve exchange of money
GoodGym runners are volunteers and do not expect payment for their time. Any exchange of money between GoodGym runners/volunteers is against GoodGym’s policy.
medical/health care related
GoodGym tasks are not essential care. Essential medical requirements should be referred to social services.
food shopping or household care
GoodGym tasks should be one-off tasks and not essential care. Essential care referrals should be referred to social services.
By requesting a task to GoodGym you confirm that:
- The older person poses no risk of harm to the runner
- The older person’s home or living environment poses no known risk or harm to the runner.
- The older person has capacity to understand the situation.
- Any necessary tools are available at the site
- You have made arrangements for any waste to be collected if needed
- You have explained that GoodGym runners are volunteers and not professional tradespeople
They were lovely, really helpful. It's a service I'd like to use again given the opportunity!
The garden looks lovely. The ladies were very happy and smiley, it made me smile too.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost?
It's free - GoodGym tasks are performed by our volunteers and do not expect payment for their time.
How do I get started?
All you need to do is sign up and provide the older person's details and we'll be in touch to organise a task to help them.
What sort of tasks are possible?
Our volunteers are not professional tradesmen, so we're not able to do certain tasks such as: painting, felling trees, putting up furniture.