Request practical support for an older person
Organisations working with older people aged over 60 can get support from GoodGym volunteers with practical household tasks.Request a task
Are you supporting vulnerable people during the Covid-19 outbreak?
GoodGym can support isolated people with basic tasks.
Background-checked GoodGym volunteers help out older people with one-off tasks. They run out to the older person's house and help with household and garden tasks.
We can change lightbulb or smoke alarm batteries
We can do weeding and most gardening tasks
We can move furniture and other heavy household items
How it works
GoodGym is a registered charity with lots of friendly runners who like to keep fit and help people. We stop off on our runs to help people with practical tasks.
Our tasks are carried out by volunteers so you don't have to pay.
GoodGym volunteers are background checked and trained.
You can choose the time and date.
Our volunteers can do
- Food shopping, foodbank and prescription deliveries
- Tasks to facilitate hospital discharge
- Light bulb/smoke alarm battery changing
- Face to face welfare checks (60+ only)
- One-off dog walking (60+ only)
- Urgent safety tasks in the home, e.g. removing trip hazards (60+ only)
- Gardening only for safety, access, or significant impact on health or wellbeing (60+ only)
Our volunteers cannot do
- Skilled tasks (e.g. plumbing)
- Cleaning or painting indoors
- Handling people’s financial or personal affairs
- Caring for older people
They were lovely, really helpful. It's a service I'd like to use again given the opportunity!
The garden looks lovely. The ladies were very happy and smiley, it made me smile too.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost?
It's free - GoodGym tasks are performed by our volunteers and do not expect payment for their time.
How do I get started?
All you need to do is sign up and provide the older person's details and we'll be in touch to organise a task to help them.
What sort of tasks are possible?
Our volunteers are not professional tradesmen, so we're not able to do certain tasks such as: painting, felling trees, putting up furniture.