Request practical support for an older person
Organisations working with older people aged over 60 can get support from GoodGym volunteers with practical household tasks.Get started
Background-checked GoodGym volunteers help out older people with one-off tasks. They run out to the older person's house and help with household and garden tasks.
We can change lightbulb or smoke alarm batteries
We can do weeding and most gardening tasks
We can move furniture and other heavy household items
How it works
GoodGym is a registered charity with lots of friendly runners who like to keep fit and help people. We stop off on our runs to help people with practical tasks.
Our tasks are carried out by volunteers so you don't have to pay.
GoodGym volunteers are background checked and trained.
You can choose the time and date.
- The older person must be aged 60 or over
- The older person must have given consent for their details to be shared with GoodGym and agree with the plans outlined
- Tools and equipment must be provided
- Volunteers cannot use power tools or any tools they feel unsafe to use
- Plans for removing furniture, garden or other waste must be in place
Our volunteers can
- Move heavy furniture
- Change lightbulbs/fire alarm batteries
- Complete one-off garden clearances
- Take down/put up curtains
- Assemble basic flatpack furniture
- Make homes accessible by moving furniture/items
Our volunteers cannot
- Do skilled tasks (e.g. plumbing)
- Clean or paint indoors
- Handle people’s financial or personal affairs
- Complete more than one garden task per beneficiary in a year
- Care for older people
- Do befriending
They were lovely, really helpful. It's a service I'd like to use again given the opportunity!
The garden looks lovely. The ladies were very happy and smiley, it made me smile too.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost?
It's free - GoodGym tasks are performed by our volunteers and do not expect payment for their time.
How do I get started?
All you need to do is sign up and provide the older person's details and we'll be in touch to organise a task to help them.
What sort of tasks are possible?
Our volunteers are not professional tradesmen, so we're not able to do certain tasks such as: painting, felling trees, putting up furniture.