A fact packed community mission
5 runners ran to help the Cadwyn in Cardiff.
- Saturday, 4th of September 2021
- Led by Karolina
On a gorgeous Saturday morning, 5 good gym members arrived at Clive Street eager to see with their own eyes the mysterious garden of happiness. They were first greeted by Emma, who showed them the back garden, the tools and most importantly the jelly babies!
The task was one of the most straightforward they have had lately:
- clear the garden from the weeds.
At first, it seemed daunting as the back garden was rather large and some of the weeds, such as nettle began to look like trees.
The team, formed of Michael, Sean, Lowri, Martin and Karolina began hacking away in complete silence. They were all too focused on the goal and that "after" picture. While clearing, a friendly neighbour popped up saying there are hedgehogs living at the bottom of the garden. No surprise there! It was a haven for all kinds of species including spiders, bees, leaf bugs. Carefully then, the team proceeded to pay attention to all kinds of creatures.
Halfway through the task, they have realised that the garden is covered with plastic sheets and so there was no digging involved at all. There was also very little rubbish apart from bricks and stones that were there to keep the sheets in place. In 1 hr they have cleared 80 % of the site and decided it is a good time to leave it at that. The bottom of the garden was perfect for wildlife if left as is.
Despite being stung by tree size nettles, the team was very pleased with their efforts. Although the garden has a long way to go, the difference they have made was huge. Now, the residents and the housing association can at least see what really hides beneath the bindweeds and nettles.
They will without a doubt make the garden wonderful for years to come.
- It was the first community mission for Cadwyn Housing Association, which is a non-for profit organization aiming to provide affordable accommodation for people of all walks of life. Their partner organisation is Nulife Furniture which Good Gym helped out before.
- it was the 200th community mission for Martin and the 25th for Karolina.
- Hedgehogs are the gardeners best friends as they eat slugs. It is good to leave patches of gardens unkept so they can go about their lives undisturbed (https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/animals/hedgehogs/garden)
- Bindweed - Although a troublesome weed for many gardeners, bindweed flowers do provide pollen for bees and the leaves are a source of food for the larvae of convolvulus hawk moths (source https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=241)
Report written by Karolina
Discuss this report
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Become a member
with an optional monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt