Squad ghouls - Goblin candy, dark bulb moments and shear terror
12 runners ran 6km to help the Thornhill Square Gardens in Islington.
- Monday, 25th of October 2021
- Led by Patrick Luong
As a spook-tacular trick or treat, Patrick led the GG Islington squad ghouls and showed they ain't afraid of the park. The devilish dozen united in Islington's biggest square and helped to rake up bags of leaves, trim back the edges of the flower beds and plant daffodil bulbs ready for the next spring - that's a scary amount of work!
While Simon was away, Patrick came to play. It was mercifully mild and dry, and not exactly bone-chilling weather! A lucky seven of us met at the Emirates and we were pleased to welcome first timers to an Islington group run, Victoria and Annikki.
We jogged as one wolf pack and seemed to hit every traffic light on the way but made it to the Square in pitch black! Thankfully, most people had brought headtorches 🔦 and Patrick had brought extras. And in the dark were five more GoodGym bodies, our amazing g-host Anna and some local residents with their dogs wearing glowstick collars!
As usual, Anna was well prepared and had loads of hard work for us to do:
- Team secret rakers - it's so mild but the golden leaves are falling down. Team rakers were taken to a secret location to rake and bag (and stomp on) as many leaves as they could fit in three big bags. Steve took a great photo of the team but it was haunted 👻
- Team dark bulb moment - another group , supported by "The Twig lady" ( not Twiggy), were responsible for planting new life! It was quite comforting to think about Spring already as we enter the darker days
- Team shear terror - terror for the weeds only! Our team were in the flower bed enclosures and clearing out the interlopers. Hanry was given the trusty shears and they felt old. It turns out they were made not in Germany, but West Germany.
Pop quiz answer: The Berlin Wall came down in 1989 and these shears were older than some of the team!
Finally, for a Halloween special, Patrick brought treats and inducted Victoria to some of Britain's finest candy/sweets 🍬🍭 .
All was left was for a team photo 📸, run back to base and a reminder about Friday's Halloween run and next week's group run with a social. Great effort team and let's hope we can help Thornhill win another gong at the London in Bloom awards. Ghoul be back in Simon's safe hands from next week.
Report written by Patrick Luong
Discuss this report
Led by Patrick Luong
Love scotch eggs, ice cream and buffets.
Runners helping out
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Become a member
with an optional monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt