Journey to the Center of the TURF
34 runners ran 2.0km to help the Hollybush Estate in Tower Hamlets.
- Saturday, 11th of January 2020
- Led by Laura Williams
Another big crew...
A whopping 34 runners gathered in the Hollybush Estate's Rocky Garden this afternoon to help Michael and Margaret, probably our longest standing task owners, with some big winter tasks.
...for some heavy duty work
Having all met successfully eventually (postcode/Google satellites seemed to be a hit & miss combo) at the garden, Margaret proceeded to run through our 4 huge tasks:
- One team was heading to neighbouring street to shift a vast amount of stone cobbles, forming the most impressive human chain
- Another team was tasked with planting the big delivery of young tree whips, with a splinter task then digging over some neighbouring ground
- Two teams headed to the back of the gardens to move compost, with another splinter task then shifting multiple bags of compost
An hour of heavy lifting, digging, running (for some), turning, carrying and planting later saw every last bit of work completed, and two absolutely delighted task owners.
Having expressed heartfelt thanks to our big team of runners, and a very appreciative thanks in particular to our many new runners, Margaret and Michael bid us farewell as we trundled off to neighbouring Middleton Green's basketball court where Chi had carefully laid out some cones in preparation for this afternoon's fitness session.
And an INTENSE fitness session...
The team brilliantly sped through an intense running, core, stretching and tough body weight-move session, finishing the watchful eye of Chi, for the second time this week. Way to go, crew.
What a vast, vast difference you made on a grey January afternoon. You just kickstarted 2020 and then some.
And we have some big thank you's for today's session...
- Thank you to Chris, for stepping in so quickly and efficiently, to greet all runners, especially our new runners, and lead them around to Rocky Park.
- Thanks to Chris and Si for leaving the fitness session, to help Michael complete the cobblestone task.
- Thanks to Isabelle, Leo, Chi and Liz for some brilliant pics.
- Thank you to Chi for co-hosting the fitness session.
And the biggest of thank you's to our wonderful, wonderful first time runners, Laura, Sohere, Charlotte, Sarah, Ailsa, Mia, Jeremy, Millie, Evie, Amy, Niamh, Keara, Rebecca, Krisztina, Sunny, Richard, Anna.
You achieved a staggering amount this afternoon, and the only question remaining to be asked is, when are you coming back?
We're running again on MONDAY!
Talking of which, we're back on Monday - yes,just 48 hours away, for a whopping THREE-TASK EVENING!
Followed by some more life-enhancing fitness in beautiful Meath Gardens, so I'd get yourself booked in now, if you want to start your week with a bang.
In the meantime, have a lovely, lovely weekend everyone.
Report written by Laura Williams
Discuss this report
GoodGym Trainer for Tower Hamlets. Personal trainer. Seriously sweet tooth.
Runners helping out
Take photos for the run report
Share the love
Join us on the next run
GoodGym Tower Hamlets: Join in this week's brilliant community task, AND our fabulous fitness session!
Monday 18:45 - 20:30
Led by Laura Williams
Town Hall Hotel - Hotel Entrance
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance