Aziz Burak Kandaz
Tonight we were back at one of our favourites - the Hollybush Estate Rocky Gardens for what Margaret, our task owner, described as some 'serious weeding'.
Margaret and Michael have done so much in the gardens over lockdown and the area was looking really lovely... but the flower beds were definitely in need of some spring tlc! A lot of grass and dandelions had sprung up along the plants and all needed removing into our new re-usable weed bags.
So without further ado, and after a quick briefing from Margaret, we split into two groups, each attending to one of the beds, and pulled out anything that shouldn't have been there!
Our hour there flew by, with good chat, including much discussion about our favourite gardening tools (indicating that perhaps we are all ready to start getting out a little more, post lockdown!) and lots of productive weed-pulling. Still lots to do, but looking so much better already!
Thanks all for getting so fully stuck in and hope to see you all again soon!
Aziz has done 10 good deeds. They are a trusted GoodGym runner and are now eligible to join their local TaskForce.
"All door one and one door all."
- "So much hinges on this task."
- "I could hardly contain(er) myself when it swung into place."
Making a difference
It was a wonderful hive of activity to arrive to: painters were busy in the toy room upstairs and outside. The door crew had assembled and weren't taking no for an answer as they actually constructed and assembled a barn door.
And there was clearing, there was weeding, there was wheeling too.
It. was. busy.
And it was fun, and it felt good, not least when yet another family stopped by, to find out what was going on and when the playground would be re-opening.
Same time next week?
Alex and Nadia were happy. Not just for the help but to see you all too. "Same time again next week?" asked Alex. You bet.
What we'll be doing
- We're heading back to Weaver's Adventure Playground this weekend to help Alex start the lengthy process of clearing up, after some playground construction work.
Tasks may include filling skips, helping break up large poles of wood, painting and constructing decking.
- We're looking for story tellers, pun pros and photographers for the report from this activity. Do feel free to try your hand at crafting the report post Community Mission. And it can be a team effort too!
Need to cancel?
- We very much hope you'll be able to make it, but if anything changes after you've signed up, please un-sign as soon as possible to free up your place for someone else (we normally have a team of 15-20 at Weavers, but we're reducing numbers at this crucial time). Thank you!
We're celebrating the return of indoor sport with some...outdoor sport :)
Yes, we'll be meeting in huge, picturesque Meath Gardens, for a fitness session led by Area Activator Laura, which will run as follows:
- Welcome, hello's, how-are-we-all-doing...
- Gentle jog warm-up
- Quick stretch
- Running drills
- Standing core
- Lower body
- Last minute laps
- Cool-down and stretch
- Big photo op (optional)
PLEASE WEAR YOUR GOODGYM T-SHIRT AS WE HAVE A SPECIAL PHOTO OP AT THE END OF THIS EVENING'S SESSION, FOR THOSE WILLING TO PARTICIPATE!
Injured, out-of-shape but still fancy coming? We'll have two PTs on-site for this evening's session, so there's be plenty of alternatives on offer if you're struggling to run.
Our very own Becky J leads this evening's Hollybush activity as we join Margaret and Michael for a variety of gardening activities in Rocky Park.
What you need to know
You'll be meeting in a group of 12 for greeting and briefing only. You will then be be distributed into two teams of six to two different sites, with two task owners.
Tools and gloves will be available, but bring own gloves if you have them, as well as a face covering in case you are working in a confined outdoor space.
We have allowed an hour for this task, but you are welcome to stay longer if there's still work to be done!
Need to cancel?
- Numbers are strictly capped for this activity, but Michael and Margaret do need a minimum of six people for each group. So please un-sign with as much notice as possible if you can't make this after signing up. Thank you!
Three GoodGym runners helped to finish laying the aquatic soil around the large artificial pond being built at the City Farm.
Claire, manager of the Farm, directed the work today and showed us how to carry out the task.
The three runners, Aziz, Emma and Paula, equipped with shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows, continued - and finished - the work of the morning group.
Very happy to see the work finished, they let us take a walk around the farm and have a look at the new born animals!
Come and join this small, outdoor group activity!
What you will be doing
- You will be led this afternoon by experienced Task Owner Alex as you shift aquatic soil in wheelbarrows, rake and move stones.
- The farm need 6 GoodGymers for this activity, so if anything changes after signing-up for this activity, please un-sign with as much notice as possible, to free up your place for someone else.
It's all go this evening as we get together for our first face-to-face fitness session of 2021.
We'll be meeting in huge, picturesque Meath Gardens, and the session will be as follows:
- Hellos and welcome!
- Running-got-a-little-rusty warm-up
- Dynamic stretching
- Running speedwork (tailored to all fitness levels)
- Strength exercises, including balance and core
- Cool-down and stretch
Aziz is part of a crowd that's making a huge noise. Aziz has been cheered by 25 people - that's a round of applause just on their own. We hope they keep it up.