You Span Me Round
5 GoodGymers made their way 3.0km to help the Cultivate London, Cultivate London, and Cultivate London in Ealing.
- Tuesday, 13th of June 2023
- Led by Kash
Male Runner - Steph
Female Runner - Kash
The Walking Tornado - Madhan
Cyclist with Hammersmith accent - Divya
Cyclist with Hounslow accent - Florian
The Tireless Task Owner - Romina
The Van Man - Auberon
Today's experience at the plant nursery called for muscle. First, we sorted timber: the small, rotten or generally useless pieces of wood were joyfully thrown into the skip, the big logs stacked by its side. Romina had no mercy for the decaying pallets previously hiding below the wood - they landed in the skip too! Some of them had been so stubborn that they took root. If you have never uprooted a pallet, you don't know what you are missing out!
Auberon was prepping the scene for the highlight of the evening: the polytunnel takedown! To disassemble the metal poles, he had to loosen the bolts with an electric wrench but hundreds of plant pots were blocking his way. We entered the jungle to play some plant tetris and give Auberon access to the poles. We've been attacked by brambles and nettles and experienced the spiky and itchy joys of GoodGymming in the summer, wearing just t-shirts and shorts.
The electric wrench did its job but couldn't deal with the bolts that had to be held in place to loosen the nut. We employed the double-spanner technique using the adjustable spanners provided to us in large quantities and large sizes. The wrenches were a bit too big to turn them efficiently but we couldn't be stopped by such minor details. After removing all the bolts, we did some lifting, shifting, turning and twisting - and voilà - the polytunnel structure disappeared!
We were a small but skillful group. Unfortunately, we didn't have the number of hands required to take down the second polytunnel. Romina was not worried about that at all and found us another task: more wood to be shifted, this time in Morrisons trolleys. The Cultivate Team were delighted with what we achieved and are looking forwards to our next visit to their site in July.
- We found a valid driving license. The person in the photo didn't resemble any of us, so we didn't have a fast & furious session after the task.
- Romina gifted Kash a rusty chain necklace and gear. Kash loved the gear but after posing with it for photos, decided to leave the prop at the plant nursery as that beautiful object didn't fit her minimalistic lifestyle.
- We found out about another muscle task available in the area: smashing (taking apart) cages at the Acton Gardens schools - maybe it's a Saturday thing?
Report written by Kash
Discuss this report
Led by Kash
Running? Lifting? I'll do that only for GoodGym.
GoodGymers helping out
Take photos for the session report
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Become a member
with an optional monthly donation
- Run, walk, or cycle to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt