16 runners ran 5.0km to help the Mildmay Community Centre in Islington.
- Monday, 15th of April 2019
- Led by Paul Bown
16 GGers ran 5km to help Mildmay Community Centre with loads of gardening!
Welcome along to Elizabeth whose first time it was last night - great to have you join us.
In the news this week:
- Great work to Steve Lee and 14 others who did the Community Mission at CREOS on Sunday - report here. May's date tbc.
- Represent Islington at the GoodGym Olympics on Saturday 3rd August in events from Egg and Spoon to 5000m - sign up here.
After warming up we headed to MildmayCommunity Centre via Highbury Fields and Canonbury Station area. This fantastic community centre puts on classes, education programmes and provides support for the local community.
Upon our arrival we met Teena who tasked us with the following:
- Laura, Claire, Steve, Chris and Katie cleared the sloped bottom garden of long grass and weeds
- Alix and Kike mowed and strimmed the overgrown lawn areas around the top garden
- Caz, Leah, Elizabeth, Charlotte and Heather were tasked with clearing two areas of weeds which included digging over the soil so pretty flowers can be planted.
- Sarah, Sofia and Ellie weeded around two raised beds which is a massive help to the two older ladies who look after them.
Of course as always our work makes a huge impact to the community around us. More people will be able to use the garden because of our hard work.
15 people + 30 mins = 7.5 hours work!
After sweeping up, putting the tools back in the shed and taking a group picture we headed off back home for biscuits and mini eggs.
Sign up for next week here - we'll be meeting at the Arc Centre because it's Bank Holiday and helping the Police.
Report written by Paul Bown
Discuss this report
Share the love
Become a member
with an optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt