Paint no mountain high enough!
17 runners ran 5.9km to help the Curo - Dartmouth Avenue (Bath) in Bath.
- Tuesday, 11th of February 2020
- Led by Sam Ollason
We ran to paint the communal spaces at a hostel for people facing homelessness in Oldfield Park in Bath. Our work brought some new life to the space and made it an even more inviting and comfortable room. As well as painting we even managed to find time to clean some children's toys and we ran 6km in total.
We welcomed Seb to his first run with GoodGym. Thanks for helping us out last night, Seb, and we hope to see you again soon!
Before we got going I shared some GG news with the group:
- At the weekend several of our runners completed the Dark Horse race. Despite the awful wind and the darkness they all made it round (mainly!) unscathed. Look out for more runs organised by Relish Running - they are always really fun!
- We have another social coming up on 3rd March after the run. It was really good fun last time, so please sign up and join us!
- The GoodGym 'Big 6' races have been announced. These are pre-organised events where GoodGym groups from across the counry get together to support each other during the race and there is often a GG task/social involved too. A great way to meet like-minded people and travel the country! See the listings here.
On with the task!
Curo provides emergency temporary accommodation to homeless single people and families. They offer supported accommodation and assist people with a very wide range of issues to access and maintain a permanent tenancy in the future with the aim of avoiding the system again. At the project on Dartmouth Avenue they have places for 23 households.
Our task was to paint the walls in their communal space. We worked as a team to make sure we covered all of the areas we needed to. We were so efficient that we managed to paint an extra wall that we hadn't planned on doing. A group of runners who had completed their painting mission spent some time cleaning boxes of plastic road and cars with disinfectant to keep them clean and safe to enjoy.
The hard work we put in made a really visible difference and we were pleased with what we achieved.
Thanks to Emily and her team at Curo for hosting us for a fun task. Thanks to Mark for backmarking for us and thanks to Rebecca for an awesome first GG 'pun for the run'!
Report written by Sam Ollason
Discuss this report
Bath Coordinator. I love helping people get fit and volunteer at the same time.
Runners helping out
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance