School's in for summer; GoodGym weeds for-ever
21 runners ran 4.0km to help the Holloway School in Islington.
- Monday, 15th of July 2019
- Led by Paul Bown
21 GoodGymers ran 4km to help Holloway School with lots of gardening!
In the news this week:
- A huge well done to Meg who hit her 100th good deed last night - woop woop!
- This Sunday is the monthly community mission to help Crouch End Open Spaces - sign up here.
After collecting together we talked GoodGym and warmed up before heading for the 2k to Holloway School. There was a lovely sunny up hill section which got everyone working well.
Upon arrival at the School we met Jonathan one of the teachers, he tasked us the following:
- Moving huge sacks of weeds and debris across the school grounds to be composted
- Meanwhile a big group pulled up weeds and grass, getting all the roots out as well as the surface shrubs. This area will be used to grow veg, something the kids will help to look after :)
- A team of three hoed and raked along the bottom of the hedge at the front of the school - awesome!
What a great task! We got so much done, Jonathan was really pleased and one of pupils who was passing was confused what we were doing to there school haha.
After a group picture we headed back the same way, a splinter group did a loop of the Emirates and see stretched out. Next was the best way to finish GG Islington ever - we headed for a picnic on Highbury Fields - yum!
Next week Aidan is in charge, you'll be helping Thornhill Square Gardens and Single Homeless Project.
Report written by Paul Bown
Discuss this report
Share the love
Join us on the next run
EDIT! Gardening, Tidying, Fixing Up at Mountford Estate Community TRA
Led by Simon Fitzmaurice
The Arsenal Community Hub
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance
Previous Trainer for Camden and Islington, England Athletics Qualified Endurance Coach, 2h51 marathoner, & big sweet potato advocate
Runners helping out
Make sure that no one is left behind
Know a community organisation who needs help?
If you're a community organisation and have a physical task then we'd like to help.