19 runners ran 5.0km to help the GRACE in Lewisham.
- Monday, 21st of October 2019
- Led by Kim Parker
A group of red t-shirt’s gathered in the foyer of Glassmill can only mean 1 thing, it was time for some running and doing good! This week we were off to GRACE which always means lots of sorting and organising.
A quick recap of this weeks news:
- Well done to Bradley who came second at the Chiswick Half Marathon at the weekend and to Liv who ran her first marathon in Amsterdam, amazing running from both of you.
- A huge good luck to Stephen who is running Venice Marathon this weekend, I hope it’s not the same conditions as it was last year when I ran it!!
- On 2nd November we have a GoodGym takeover of Hilly Fields Parkrun, if you would like to volunteer, drop Adele an email with what role you fancy doing.
We began the evening with a quick headcount in a rather oddly shaped circle, that wasn’t really a circle, but I went with it, it worked. And then straight into a game of “I shout a body part and a number and those who are leftover have to do squats”, I’m sure the game has a proper name really! Then we set off as a group through the centre of Lewisham, detouring for some roadworks and up the busy main road to GRACE, it’s not the most picturesque of routes.
We arrived promptly, picking up people on the way and great work by those that met us at the task, getting stuck in before we arrived!
The tasks for this evening were pretty straightforward, sorting through cages of clothes and organising them into men, women and children piles and then removing the items that couldn’t be of use and saving the items that could be sold in the shop.
And the other task was sorting boxes of baby clothes into size order and packed neatly to condense the amount of boxes.
The first difficult task was getting the plastic gloves out of the box! Everyone got to work and there was quite a lot of concentration on organising the clothes until we found some very questionable pieces of clothing, see pictures!
It was time to be wrapping up but there was still half a cage of clothes to sort and put in bags so it was all hands on deck to get everything sorted, I couldn’t write labels for the bags quick enough!
Group photo done and we made our back back to Glassmill to stretch and try to remember what next weeks task is..it’ll be a good one.
Report written by Kim Parker
Discuss this report
Runner and owner of GoodGym Lewisham's dog mascot, Molly
Runners helping out
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Help our friends at St Christopher's Hospice Shop
Monday 6:45pm - 8:30pm
Led by Emma Presley Abbott
Glass Mill Leisure Centre
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance