Have I Got Moons For You?
11 runners ran 6.0km to help the Exwick News in Exeter.
- Tuesday, 12th of November 2019
- Led by Klara Kjellgren
11 amazing runners came out in the cold and crips evening to help distribute Exwick News, a community magazine. Not only did they run 6 k, they also marched up some of the steepest hills in Exeter to carry out the task! Amazing effort getting fit and doing good!
We started our evening with a safety briefing and some big shout outs as we have a lot of great stuff going on in our area:
- We had our first mission run last Sunday. Florence and Pete ran to help Mr C declutter his home (this had become increasingly hard for him due to poor health). Fantastic work!
- Vicky, Rachel and Lucy R have, after tonights group run, carried out 10 good deeds! Brilliant stuff!
- Joe ran 32 k across Dartmoor last Sunday, the furthest he has ever run! Impressive!
We then carried out a dynamic warm up session, including lots of high knees, sumo steps, lunges and Frankenstein steps. After that we were ready to go and we set off towards Exwick, excited for the GoodGym to reach a new area in Exeter!
There was a lot of laughing and chatting as we ran, always so lovely to hear! We re-grouped at regular intervals so that no-one got left behind and made the most of the stops to work on strengthening by doing a variety of squats, and lunges. Big thank you to Joe who back marked the whole way and even handed out some toffees to keep the energy levels up!
When we arrived to Exwick we were welcomed by Rob, who is in charge of the distribution of Exwick News, a community magazine in which information about events and ideas for the area are shared. This edition also mentioned the GoodGym! Best news ever! Our help to make the magazine reach as many households as possible this evening was very appreciated.
In 35 minutes we managed to distribute 350 magazines! Great work team!
The delivery route took us up some of the steepest hill in Exeter and on top of that one runner had to climb over 30 steps to reach a front door, so it is safe to say that everyone got REALLY FIT whilst doing good! We were so lucky to have the most amazing full moon shining above us and we also got to enjoy a stunning view of Exeter below us. Really beautiful!
On the return run we carried out some Indian running. We formed a single file of runners and had the last runner sprinting to the front, a great and fun way to improve speed! Brilliant effort everyone!
Back at the Phoenix we stretched out all major muscle groups and took a moment to think about how much we had achieved and how fit we have become. Thank you Jo for coming up with the pun for the report during the last few stretches! We also took a minute to go through what's coming up next:
- Next week: We will run to St Leonards and Heavitree to help Age UK with leafleting. It will be a lovely 5 k run and we will get super fit by leafleting too! It would be great to have you along for this! Sign up here to join.
- Training run on Dartmoor: plans are coming along nicely for this! If you are interested in taking part please let me know and keep checking the website for more info on this!
- Christmas Race We are going to run Haldon Jingle Bell Run on December 15th! Yay! You can choose between 5 and 10 k and it will be great fun! Sign up here on the race event page and then also let me know here if you are coming so that I know how many treats to bring!
To finish off with with I just have to say that you are such an awesome team! It always puts a smile on my face being out running with you guys and to see how hard you work on ALL tasks presented to you and at ALL fitness exercises I make you do. YOU ARE AMAZING! Can’t wait to see you all again soon! Happy running till then
Report written by Klara Kjellgren
Discuss this report
Trainer for GoodGym Exeter, coming summer 2019.
Runners helping out
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Run and help deliver a newsletter for St James Forum
Tuesday 6:45pm - 8:30pm
Led by Klara Kjellgren
Exeter Phoenix Arts Centre
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance