Pushing IN the daisies!
17 runners ran 4.0km to help the Bloom In' St Thomas in Exeter.
- Tuesday, 15th of October 2019
- Led by Klara Kjellgren
17 incredible runners ran 4 k to help prepare a wildflower area in St Thomas churchyard! Welcome Claire and Lynsey who joined us for the first time! It was brilliant having you with us, we hope you come back soon again!
We started the evening with a dynamic warm up session working with a lot of different circle movement. It also included a new version of "letting the chickens out" which might sound completely crazy, but you guys now know what I am talking about and how well that opens up your hips and gently stretches out your hamstrings. After that we were ready for doing good and getting fit! YES!
We ran a total of 4 k. Whilst we re-grouped so that no-one got left behind, we did some squats, lunges and press ups.
On the return run we did a great circuit training and got fitter than ever before! Our stations consisted of the following:
- Jumping squats/squat with lateral leg lift
- Mountain climbing
- Alternating triceps dips and press ups
- Lunge clock
- Sprinting over the Millenium Bridge (when runners returned from this it was time for us to change stations)
You guys totally smashed one round of this and then amazed me by saying you wanted to do a second round! FANTASTIC ATTITUDE AND GREAT WORK!
We finished off with some stretches outside the Phoenix, paying attention to our breathing and really acknowledging what we had achieved together.
Our task this evening was helping the volunteer gardening group "Bloom'In St Thomas" prepare a wildflower area in St Thomas churchyard. It was really dark when we got there but with the help of head torches and our work lights we were able to get stuck in and worked really hard for 40 minutes.
We made hay while the sun didn't shine!
We planted flowers in the flower beds and raked a very large wildflower area behind the church. The raking gave us a fantastic work out and together we got SO MUCH DONE!
- We filled 20 large bags with old grass and leaves!
- 17 of us working for 40 minutes adds up to over 11 hours work!
Absolutely brilliant! The best thing is that we had such a great time working, you could hear chatting and laughing the whole time. This is what the GoodGym is all about- Getting fit, doing good, connecting with each other and the local community and having fun!
- Thank you to Helen and Sarah who back marked!
- Thank you Laura and Pete for pun and quote!
- Congratulations to Nic who completed the Great West Run last Sunday, a fantastic time too!
- HUGE shout out to all of you for being so amazing, for coming out these dark evenings to do good and get fit! You are all heroes!
- A big thank you to the Westbank for making the GoodGym possible in our area and to the Phoenix for providing us with such an excellent starting point.
Next week we will help Exeter Communities Together with creating a community allotment by St James Chruch. Exeter Communities Together is a new project that “aims to enable Black, Asian and minority ethnic residents in Exeter to have a voice and increased visibility in the wider community”. The run will be a lovely flat 5 k, and we will have time for a fitness session too. Sign up here. We would love to see you!
Remember to bring a head torch and reflective bands/clothing if you have them. Please also wear some layers so that you don't get cold whilst working at the task.
On Sunday 27th October we have another Community Mission. VERY EXCITING! We will meet by the Waterfront in Exeter quay at 10.00 am to help the volunteer group Plastic Free Exeter with a community litter pick for 1 hour. What a brilliant initiative! This is a great chance for you to plan your own run or walk and still get that good feeling of having carried out a good deed. It's also a brilliant opportunity for us to show more people what the GoodGym is all about! I would love to see you there! Sign up here!
Report written by Klara Kjellgren
Discuss this report
Trainer for GoodGym Exeter, coming summer 2019.
Runners helping out
Take photos for the run report
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Leafleting for Age UK
Tuesday 6:45pm - 8:30pm
Led by Klara Kjellgren
Exeter Phoenix Arts Centre
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance