#GG10 - Hi Ho, Hi Ho, off to Dalmain we go!
16 runners ran 6.9km to help their local community in Lewisham.
- Monday, 16th of September 2019
- Led by Kim Parker
Let’s start off with Lewisham news (partly in case you didn’t hear me over whatever was going on in Glassmill), there was so much of it, we had:
- GoodGym’s 10th Birthday Party at City Hall which was a wonderful evening of different areas being all together alongside community groups that we support - there may have been a few tears during the speeches.
- Hilly Fields Parkrun 7th birthday, the course was ran in reverse and to celebrate making it round the wrong way, there was cake at the end!
- Marsha Phoenix Relay at Hilly Fields which was raising money for a fantastic local cause, well done Tom/Oli/Jacqueline for taking part and Molly for being the best cheerer!
- Vic also came first at a Parkrun in Italy and had her own personal marshal - WELL DONE!
We started the evening with a quick photo outside Glassmill with the absolutely huge GoodGym flag, that done and a quick selfie so I didn’t miss out, it was time for Amber to run through a quick warm up as we needed to head off promptly to maximise the time we’d have at the task.
We arrived at Dalmain Primary School and split into two groups, the bigger group/people with head torches tackling the wildlife garden across the road and a smaller group cutting back the bushes in a wildlife garden in the main playground to make it easier for the children to walk along the path.
Everyone got stuck into the task and after a bit of running back and forth between the two groups, I went to check on the tyres we’d painted in the summer and they are still looking wonderful.
The group in the main playground also removed some weeds around the edges whilst I went to round up the other group, only to find they’d found an assortment of random objects: a pickaxe, a lightbulb, a babygrow and then the usual litter (there was probably more to add to that list).
Whilst the cuttings where being taken over to compost pile in the wildlife garden, it was up to me to run around the playground like a superhero with the flag.
Back to being run leader and we all got in position for a group photo except the light kept going off and then my phone wasn’t ready, after about 5 attempts we got it! Time for the downhill back to Glassmill and a stretch (thanks Amber).
Next week we are off to Chelwood Nursery and there's various community missions happening this weekend:
- Wildcat Wilderness Chilli Festival on Saturday (and you get lunch for all your hard work)
- Manor Gardens on Sunday
Well done running up those hills this evening, everyone did great!
Report written by Kim Parker
Discuss this report
Runner and owner of GoodGym Lewisham's dog mascot, Molly
Runners helping out
Take photos for the run report
Share the love
Join us on the next run
Sorting, organising and helping at GRACE
Monday 6:45pm - 8:30pm
Led by Kim Parker
Glass Mill Leisure Centre
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance