Windsor and Maidenhead
Windsor and Maidenhead
GoodGym Windsor and Maidenhead is 1!
Covid-19 has given us a very different year to what we expected, but we haven't let it stop us from building a community of one-derful people, who have collectively done a whopping 723 good deeds and been motivated to stay fit and active along the way. We certainly weren't about to let Covid-19 stop us from celebrating our first birthday in style!
We had a Zoom quiz and natter, with lots of good sportsmanship and big laughs. Highlights from the evening included:
- Being able to give Jen (VIP guest from Slough!) and Sara a big round of applause for their 100th and 50th good deeds respectively - amazing achievements from these superstars! Also learning about what they have been doing with crisp packets at Terracycle near Slough.
- Lots of us being able to put faces to names and say a proper hello having only 'met' before on WhatsApp or read about each other in run reports.
- Tara joining straight from a shift at the Maidenhead Covid-19 vaccination clinic - way to go Tara!
- Big excitement at the news that Parkrun is expected to return from the 5th of June and Junior Parkrun (for 4-10 year olds initially) from the 11th of April. Hurrah! We were particularly honoured to have Parkrun Director Nick B joining our celebration as a VIP guest on the historic day of this announcement.
- A big up to Sani, Rich, Jen, Jess, Sophie, Wendy, and Fran, who were all there at our launch and are still part of the family one year on.
- Matt's demonstration of the running man.
- Everyone doing the twist.
- Attempts at jumping jacks without leaving the sofa.
- Seeing what it would look like if Queen Elizabeth II dressed up as Paul in a Santa hat and went out for a run.
- Seeing what it would look like if Sophie and Elton John had a child and he grew up, joined GoodGym and helped rescue baby toads.
- Nick S's reaction to finding out that Timmy Mallet lives nearby.
- Amy learning how to use breakout rooms (thanks to technical support James)
- Laura, Gareth and Tara of the 'Cool Chefs' being super focussed and nailing every challenge in record time.
- Team 'We are Pants'' innovative choice of team uniform, in particular Sophie's styling of her hair through the leg holes.
- Fran's stamina when it came to keeping her pants on. It did not go un-noticed that Nick S whipped his off at the earliest opportunity.
- Jen's explanation that she was a 'Llama in pyjamas' disguised as a bear. Obvs.
- Claire from the 'Mad Hatters' wearing a child's riding helmet.
- All the celebratory drinks.
- Brilliant efforts to GoodGym-ify the lyrics of Queen's 'Don't stop me now' such as: >(Don't stop us now) We're digging such a big hole We're planting a tree (Wear fancy dress) Goodgym always has a good time So give them a call!
- Re-writes of Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' to make them more relevant to the present day, such as: > Oh covid, trapped like us Bojo, let us out to run Come with me, athletes like us Baby, we’re born to park run
- Adaptations of Bonnie Tyler's 'I need a hero' with Boris in Johnson in mind, such as: >I need a haircut, I’m holding out for a haircut till the end of the spring. It’s got to be short, and it’s got to be blond cos I want be the next king.
- And a second verse: >I need a vaccine I'm holding out for a vaccine by the end of the year It's got to be safe and it's gotta work And it's gotta get me out for a beer
- The group singing/rapping these lyrics in unison.
- The fact that I recorded it so I can watch it back whenever I want to. Bwa ha ha ha...
- Our agreement that next year's celebration will include going out together for a pizza and lots of hugs.
Happy birthday to us!
An extra well done to everyone who also went for a celebratory birthday run, and special mention to Amanda, who brought birthday balloons (and a big smile to lots of people's faces) for her run with Amy around Maidenhead's Parkrun route.
Windsor and Maidenhead
This Friday 26th of February is the anniversary of our launch. GoodGym Windsor and Maidenhead is turning ONE!
GoodGym area birthdays are normally marked with much fanfare and cake, and although we may be locked down, that doesn't mean we can't party. Join us on Zoom for a light-hearted quiz and a good laugh.
You are only required to bring yourself, but if your idea of a good party also includes your family, cake, a chocolate fondue, vodka luge or bouncy castle, then obviously you're welcome to 'bring' that stuff too.
Zoom details will be emailed out around 15 minutes before to everyone who signs up. They will also be shared on the group WhatsApp.
If you can manage a celebratory run in your GoodGym t-shirt (and party hat?) earlier in the day too, then even better! Why not reach out to the group to find a buddy to join you?
Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us....!
Duration is an estimate.