17 runners ran have an amazing time in Windsor and Maidenhead.
- Friday, 26th of February 2021
- Led by Amy Lovell
GoodGym Windsor and Maidenhead is 1!
Covid-19 has given us a very different year to what we expected, but we haven't let it stop us from building a community of one-derful people, who have collectively done a whopping 723 good deeds and been motivated to stay fit and active along the way. We certainly weren't about to let Covid-19 stop us from celebrating our first birthday in style!
We had a Zoom quiz and natter, with lots of good sportsmanship and big laughs. Highlights from the evening included:
- Being able to give Jen (VIP guest from Slough!) and Sara a big round of applause for their 100th and 50th good deeds respectively - amazing achievements from these superstars! Also learning about what they have been doing with crisp packets at Terracycle near Slough.
- Lots of us being able to put faces to names and say a proper hello having only 'met' before on WhatsApp or read about each other in run reports.
- Tara joining straight from a shift at the Maidenhead Covid-19 vaccination clinic - way to go Tara!
- Big excitement at the news that Parkrun is expected to return from the 5th of June and Junior Parkrun (for 4-10 year olds initially) from the 11th of April. Hurrah! We were particularly honoured to have Parkrun Director Nick B joining our celebration as a VIP guest on the historic day of this announcement.
- A big up to Sani, Rich, Jen, Jess, Sophie, Wendy, and Fran, who were all there at our launch and are still part of the family one year on.
- Matt's demonstration of the running man.
- Everyone doing the twist.
- Attempts at jumping jacks without leaving the sofa.
- Seeing what it would look like if Queen Elizabeth II dressed up as Paul in a Santa hat and went out for a run.
- Seeing what it would look like if Sophie and Elton John had a child and he grew up, joined GoodGym and helped rescue baby toads.
- Nick S's reaction to finding out that Timmy Mallet lives nearby.
- Amy learning how to use breakout rooms (thanks to technical support James)
- Laura, Gareth and Tara of the 'Cool Chefs' being super focussed and nailing every challenge in record time.
- Team 'We are Pants'' innovative choice of team uniform, in particular Sophie's styling of her hair through the leg holes.
- Fran's stamina when it came to keeping her pants on. It did not go un-noticed that Nick S whipped his off at the earliest opportunity.
- Jen's explanation that she was a 'Llama in pyjamas' disguised as a bear. Obvs.
- Claire from the 'Mad Hatters' wearing a child's riding helmet.
- All the celebratory drinks.
- Brilliant efforts to GoodGym-ify the lyrics of Queen's 'Don't stop me now' such as: >(Don't stop us now) We're digging such a big hole We're planting a tree (Wear fancy dress) Goodgym always has a good time So give them a call!
- Re-writes of Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' to make them more relevant to the present day, such as: > Oh covid, trapped like us Bojo, let us out to run Come with me, athletes like us Baby, we’re born to park run
- Adaptations of Bonnie Tyler's 'I need a hero' with Boris in Johnson in mind, such as: >I need a haircut, I’m holding out for a haircut till the end of the spring. It’s got to be short, and it’s got to be blond cos I want be the next king.
- And a second verse: >I need a vaccine I'm holding out for a vaccine by the end of the year It's got to be safe and it's gotta work And it's gotta get me out for a beer
- The group singing/rapping these lyrics in unison.
- The fact that I recorded it so I can watch it back whenever I want to. Bwa ha ha ha...
- Our agreement that next year's celebration will include going out together for a pizza and lots of hugs.
Happy birthday to us!
An extra well done to everyone who also went for a celebratory birthday run, and special mention to Amanda, who brought birthday balloons (and a big smile to lots of people's faces) for her run with Amy around Maidenhead's Parkrun route.
Report written by Amy Lovell
Discuss this report
Share the love
Become a member
with an optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Access sessions across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt