Hap-pie Birthday GoodGym 🥳
17 runners ran 0.8km to help the Friends of the Shuttle in Bexley.
- Monday, 16th of September 2019
- Led by Sarah Lee
Firstly, we would like to say a massive HAPPY BIRTHDAY to GoodGym! 🥳🥳🥳 An idea that begun 10 years ago has spread all over the nation and we are proud to be a part of GoodGym here in Bexley!
- This coming weekend will see the very first GoodGym Super Saturday; a day crammed full of good deeds. In Bexley we will be revisiting The Old English Gardens to help with tidying and improving the grounds. We will also be running at Bexley parkrun before. Find out more and sign up here
- On Saturday evening, there will be a few of us collating our general knowledge at the Progressive Welling Quiz night. It costs £5 on the night and the money raised will be going to fund the Christmas lights along Welling High Street. I have provisionally booked 2 tables so if you are interested in coming along, please sign up here
- Have you heard that GoodGym Bexley will be doing a takeover on the 19th October. We are aiming to fill as many volunteer and pacing positions as possible. If you are interested in volunteering or just coming along for the run you can sign up here
Tonight 17 runners came to help out at the Old English Gardens in Danson Park, which we are proud to say has recently been voted as the best park in London for 2019 in the Fields in Trust awards! We met inside Crook Log Leisure centre and welcomed our new member Lilly. It was nice to meet you and we hope you enjoyed your first GoodGym Bexley group run! We were heading straight to the task tonight as we had limited daylight time left before it would be too dark to dig around and identify weeds in the garden.
The walking group headed off first, so as to arrive at our chosen local landmark at the same time as the running group. The runners then made their way up into Danson Park, running up the hill towards Danson House. Set overlooking the award-winning Park, the beautiful Grade I listed Palladian villa was officially re-opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II in July 2005. This was the perfect backdrop for our photo, flying the GoodGym flag to celebrate the 10 years of GoodGym. It is also ideally located right opposite our task location at the Old English Garden.
On arrival, we met the wonderful Nicky who loaded us with tools and the well needed bug spray! We were quick to set to work, aiming to get as much done before the light disappeared.
We split into two teams... Team 1. Cutting back the bushes and tidying away the cuttings Team 2. Weeding
The sun quickly began to set, and it was time to get out the head torches and lamp for the first time since the beginning of summer. We quickly hurried to finish what we had started, always finding just one more weed to pull up before packing away our tools and getting rid of all the weeds and cuttings onto the compost heap.
Who ate all the pies?
Everyone was very excited as we were ready to head next door to Danson Stables for some food and drink. We had a few runners making their way back to Crook Log, while everyone else took the short walk through to the pub. We were pleased to see that Monday night was 50% off pie night. I have never seen so many huge pies! We will have to remember this for next time as I think a few people who hadn't ordered a pie had a slight case of food envy! 🥧
Great work tonight Bexley!
Next Monday our group run will be leaflet dropping for Greenwich and Bexley Hospice.
Report written by Sarah Lee
Discuss this report
Share the love
Join us on the next run
LEAFLET DROP RUN AND WALK
Led by Tim Dickson
Crook Log Leisure Centre
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance
GoodGym Bexley Run Leader
Runners helping out
Lead a walking group to the task
Take photos for the run report
Help with checking Document of runner for DBS check
Know a community organisation who needs help?
If you're a community organisation and have a physical task then we'd like to help.