Go Ahead...Rake My Day
15 runners ran 3.0km to help the Parvaaz Project in Slough.
- Monday, 2nd of December 2019
- Led by Manjit Birk
Be ho-ho-hold….It’s December…and you should all know–ho–ho what that means? There is no time like the presanta to start wearing your Christmas head gear…and the team did not disappoint me..
With the countdown to Christmas already started…we now only have 2 more runs leaft till the end of the decade.
Tonight’s run and task was the last garden tidy up of 2019 and It was to help The Parvaaz Project on Northampton Avenue. This centre helps children and young adults with learning delays to enjoy a social environment and gain access to activities that would normally not be possible for them to do.
The Grass of 2019
So before we tell you what did today, I wanted to say a big thank you to all our runners who come every week and make Goodgym Slough such an enjoyable fitness and community give back activity.
A couple of weeks ago we had our Christmas social and I presented those who could come with their annual certificates in good ol Goodgym style.
For those who couldn’t make it…they got their certificates today.
So from our Fame Game, Jeff’ll fix it, Our Running wings to our Legends and ‘Am I bovered’s…I hope you all liked your awards…keep the GG spirit growing as you are all true superstars.
Another runner reached a milestone last week….Our Social Queen, our tweet twoo – insta enforcer https://www.goodgym.org/admin/runners/emily-miller got her bullseye…well done Milly!
Emily is now not going to be able to join us for the rest of 2019 …so as we missed your big 50 we did our own little video for you…hope you enjoyed it
5-0…5-0 its off to Auss she goes…Bon Foliage Milly, see you in 2020!
Weeding by example
So back to what we actually did tonight. 15 runners.. after the brief, the speech, the awards, the warm up all headed out the relatively short distance of 1.5km to the task. Thank you to Jenni, Sara and Sut Yee for being our walking crew tonight..
On arrival we were met by Alex and he asked if we would help clear away the never ending leaves and give it the garden space a Spruce Spingsteen Clean….
Alex is always mulchos grassios for our help…so after the brief, he handed us the lock up padlocks and said Auf-Weed-Ersehen and headed off home.
When push comes to shovel
As we were in a relatively dark area, lit only by the glow of the runners and a few extra lights, we stayed in small groups and worked as safely as we could….with no garden fast rules, we started to dig into the task.
- Dazz-a-maz (our very own elf on a shelf) used sheer brut force to break down the fallen tree branches.
- Sooty and Sweep (also known as Sut-yee and Nisha) did a sweeping job of the leaves once I leaft them alone to actually get on with it!
- Jen, Pam, Jenni and Lucy did a shovely job of using the shovels to rake up all the leaves
- Ihfraz (who was on his 2nd group run with us tonight)…well, he’s a smart cookie and took the only tool for the job tonight – an actual rake
- Sara and Meera made it a clean sweep as only they can..
- Mabu was our action man and getting into every nook and cranny to find leaves
- Whilst Roisin, Kam and Sandy leaft no stone unturned in their quest..to chim chimney, chim chimney chim cher-ee, a sweep is as lucky as lucky can be…
14 bags of leaves and a fair few broken branches later we were done…just in time for our video shoot for Emily!
Great run and task #TeamGGSlough as always…countdown is on…2 more to go Have a great week and see you next week on our Christmas decks task…
Report written by Manjit Birk
Discuss this report
Group Run Trainer for Slough....Running is my passion....Marathons to park runs I love them all! Running alone to running in pairs or groups
Runners helping out
Lead a walking group to the task
Take photos for the run report
Make sure that no one is left behind
Share the love
Join us on the next run
GoodGym Slough - leaflet drop
Monday 6:30pm - 8:15pm
Led by Manjit Birk
Salt Hill Activity Centre
Become a member
Optional £9.95 monthly donation
- Run to help older people
- Get the support of a qualified trainer
- Access group runs across the country
- Claim your GoodGym t-shirt from New Balance